Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Day 5, Afternoon presentations and goodbyes

During the afternoon, the aTi participants were able to see the final products completed in the various workshops. Printmaking impresses me because although the final pieces look "easy," I know that the artists have to print layer upon layer; it's a time-consuming process. Songwriting/music tech impresses me since it's like writing poetry, but going one step further by adding instrumentation. The participants in book arts always have to exhibit patience throughout their entire work process. Seeing what the pottery participants create interests me since I took the aTi workshop with Deb Goletz last summer. Overall though, I'm always most impressed by the oil painting workshop attendees. They seem to produce so many paintings within the five days---it's impressive. I also enjoy seeing the various subject matters that they paint. Similar to poetry, seeing artists' paintings gives you a look into their lives.

Below are some of my favorite paintings.




Artwork by Denise... 
Lisa's artwork
Once the time came for the aTi poets, we individually read two of our poems. We didn't have microphones, so I was worried about how well my voice would project. Then again, I am a middle school teacher----projecting a loud voice is something at which I am skilled.

I chose to read "Outside World" (my Paraclausithyron piece) and my cocoa butter poem. I tried to look up at the audience while reading the poem, but I was nervous too. At one point though, looking up at the audience just seemed to be the right thing to do....because then my poems were not just stand-alone pieces with which I could connect and engage...others were then brought into the poem too. 

The end of aTi reminds me of the end of summer camp. I was excited to go home, see family and friends, and get back into regular "routines." Even though I did not participate in the "residential" aTi experience this year, these aTi workshops are consuming. I called my workshop "poetry boot camp." We'd be at our sessions from 9-5; then, once we got home, we'd continue working on drafting and revising.


On the last day of aTi, I begin worrying, How will I make time for poetry ? The fact of the matter is that if something is one's passion, she will make time for it. I am reminded of a favorite quotation by H. Jackson Browne, Jr : “Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”

I'm hoping that this summer's aTi experience was simply the beginning of my creative journey for this year, but I'm already looking forward to aTi 2015. 





No comments:

Post a Comment